In this article, we will explain what a ketogenic weight loss diet is. We will describe in detail its essence, as well as its pros and cons. After all, not all diets are suitable for all people, everything is individual. We hope this article helps you and your health.
What is the ketogenic diet? Its name comes from the name of the metabolic state (ketosis), which is activated in the body for weight loss if specific recommendations are followed and a number of foods are limited.
Despite the diet's popularity, science cannot prove its miraculous properties. However, people who have experienced the effect on themselves confirm an increase in endurance and strength, mass gain and weight normalization. We've tried to collect all relevant dietary information, we've put together a menu for the week, and we've collected feedback on this article.
The essence of the diet
The basic principle of the work is to reduce the consumption of carbohydrates, due to which the body starts to use internal resources and actively burn fat.
From the calculation of daily caloric content, it appears that our bodies need proteins, fats and carbohydrates, and sugar allows you to feel better and maintain a healthy brain. Energy is glucose and, on this diet, its supply is limited for a week.
So what to do? The possibilities lie in the principle of the liver, which preserves the glucose reserves and, if consumption is lacking, "gives a portion" and the body has the opportunity to function fully again. At the same time, the liver stores only a small part of the glucose, so it is not desirable to limit itself to carbohydrates and sugar for a long time - the work of the brain and the whole body is based on these stores.
Despite the diet's popularity, science cannot prove its miraculous properties. However, people who have experienced the effect on themselves confirm an increase in endurance and strength, mass gain and weight normalization.
Another glucose storage resource is muscles, which are capable of storing twice as much glucose as the liver. One important nuance - glucose in muscles is stored as glycogen and in turn can "give life" to the body, but it cannot feed the brain.
Thus, an emergency situation, which is created due to the restriction of the organism in carbohydrates and glucose, causes an increase in the work of the liver and of the whole body, which allows to burn the internal fat reserves. The constant presence of ketone bodies in the blood is a state of ketosis. If achieved, the active phase of the diet begins.
Is that another name for a low carb diet? As the basic principle of this diet is to limit carbohydrates, for many the diet becomes synonymous with low carbohydrates. This is not true.
Differences between a ketogenic diet and a low carbohydrate diet:
- Carbohydrates and fats/ketone bodies are used for energy production;
- Restriction of carbohydrates / 75% fat, 20% protein and 5% carbohydrates in the diet.
Pros of a Ketogenic Diet:
- Lose weight with fat, not muscle;
- Lack of hunger;
- Reducing the effect of sugar on your body (minimizing the risk of diabetes, improving your skin);
- Blood pressure normalization;
- Strengthening concentration and brain function (replacing glucose with ketones).
- Long-term restructuring of the body;
- Tachycardia and headache;
- Feeling tired all week;
- Digestive problems - bloating, heartburn, nausea, constipation;
Who is the diet for?
Doctors recommend using a similar nutritional system for athletes, people with epilepsy, overweight, or pre-diabetes. This diet to lose weight has many restrictions, therefore, a medical consultation is necessary initially.
There are many myths about the ketogenic diet, here are the main ones:
- If in the following week the weight does not change and the health condition worsens, the diet is not adequate. In fact, it will take several weeks for the body to adapt - you can't eat one way your whole life, switch to another type of food one day, and expect the body to thank you.
- To start the ketosis process, you need to remove almost all carbohydrates and eat protein. It works the other way around: more protein means less ketosis.
- Ketosis allows you to increase your physical activity and expend more energy. In fact, a high load is contraindicated, since high-intensity exercise requires glucose, and when you're on a diet, you don't have enough.
- The diet is gaining muscle mass. Think about it . . . on a diet! You can lose weight and forget about muscle mass. You can, of course, combine training and diet, gain lean muscle, but it's better not - it's very healthy.
Types of diet
- Standard, suggesting a critical reduction in dietary carbohydrates. Suitable for people with a sedentary lifestyle.
- Targeted when carbohydrates are consumed before training.
- Alternating, if in the diet, with some frequency the emphasis is placed on different micronutrients. For example, one week - proteins and fats, another week - carbohydrates.
Rules and Product List
The following rules must be observed:
- Compliance with the percentage of BZHU with a predominance of fat;
- One serving does not exceed 200 grams, although it combines several products;
- Avoid frying, steaming, boiling or roasting for cooking;
- Sugar - no, like salt;
- Only healthy snacks (if necessary).
With a ketogenic diet, the concentration of healthy foods on the menu is important, the ban on junk food and foods that contain a lot of sugar.
This diet to lose weight has many restrictions, therefore, a medical consultation is necessary first.
The following foods should not be on your menu and diet:
- Pasta, cereals, bakery, starchy foods;
- Foods containing sugar and sweeteners;
- Preserved and processed meat and fish;
- Dried fruits and fruits (with rare exceptions);
- Products with unhealthy fats;
The menu may contain products:
- Eggs, fish, poultry, meat;
- Various vegetables;
- Sugar-free coffee and tea;
- Lemon, fresh spices, mustard, ginger.
Before starting a ketogenic diet, you should:
- Take the test, check that there are no contraindications and consult a doctor;
- Familiarize yourself with all dietary information - work principles, permitted foods, and so on;
- Measure your lifestyle and the possibility of going through the adaptation phase;
- Gradually, it will come to the elimination of prohibited foods;
- Create a menu that will allow you to smoothly switch to ketogenic nutrition;
- Take care of the vitamin complex and water balance.
menu of the week
We offer a menu that you can use throughout the week. It is most convenient to start the diet on Monday.
- Unbuttered scrambled eggs with cheese.
- Cottage cheese, apple.
- Steam hake.
- Yogurt with berries (not fat-free).
- Chicken cutlets with vegetable salad.
- Casserole with fruit.
- Egg, orange.
- Meat soup.
- A little cheese.
- Chop with herbs.
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, an apple.
- Toast with cheese.
- Rice with chicken breast.
- Protein cocktail.
- Red fish.
- Cottage cheese.
- Two eggs.
- Baked Salmon.
- Omelet with vegetables and cheese.
- Protein bar.
- Buckwheat with beef cutlet.
- Cooked meat.
- Pancakes with cheese.
- Vegetable casserole.
- Chicken, cheese and pineapple salad.
- Toast with pate.
- Roasted mushrooms.
- Roasted fish, ¼ avocado and cheese.
- Salad with chicken and vegetables.
- Meatball soup.
- Roasted meat with cheese.
We've given you a slimming diet menu guide, now we'll tell you some popular and delicious recipes.
Recipes for allowed dishes
Ingredients: 3 eggs, 500 ml milk, 200 grams of flour, 500 grams of yogurt, 4 teaspoons of honey
Preparation: Each layer is prepared separately, then the cake is assembled. To season yogurt and honey, mix the rest of the ingredients and fry in a hot skillet like pancakes.
Approximate KBZHU for one serving: 24 grams of protein, 9 - fat and 48 carbohydrates.
Chicken fillet casserole
Ingredients: any mushrooms 400 grams, 1 onion, chicken fillet 200 grams, 1 eggplant, 100 grams of cheese
Preparation: fry the mushrooms, onion and eggplant (separately) in a pan, cut the fillets, rub the cheese, place them on a layered baking sheet (you get several layers). Bake for 10-15 minutes at 200 degrees.
Approximate KBZHU for one serving: 10 grams of protein, 2 - fat and 8 - carbohydrates.
- First tip: this type of food is not suitable for everyone. When I heard about her, I immediately went to the doctor and together we made a nutritional plan, but we still didn't have the strength to practice sports.
- Second tip: if there are no health guidelines for a ketogenic diet, it's best to work around it. Violent restriction of sugar in the diet is a mockery of your body and causes constant malaise.
- Third tip: I ran several runs on this diet. In the first one it was very bad, I couldn't even go through the adaptation. And during the second I prepared in advance - gradually reduced carbs and increased fats, drank vitamins. The weight loss result was noticeable within a month.
- Fourth tip: In the first week you need to be patient, because the state will be more or less. And then the second wind opens, you run like you're running on batteries. Hearty and tasty, great results - 2% less fat in a month.
The ketogenic weight loss diet is a complex name and simple principles. It is suitable for people with low activity levels who are ready to experience the adaptation phase for several weeks. It is based on the accounting of BZHU foods and the rejection of products included in the prohibited list.
Before using the ketogenic diet, you definitely need an expert consultation who will help you not only create a menu, but also safely switch to a new type of diet. Self-tracking your condition with such a diet is problematic, so in the absence of special indications, it is advisable to opt for a more humane food system.